Saturday 18 January 2014

'Eat me" easy chocolate biscuit recipe



On Wednesday, I went shopping with my best friend to use up some of the vouchers she gave me for Christmas and my birthday. One of these vouchers was for Typo, my absolute favourite stationery and knick-knack shop and I was very excited to use it, despite dreading having to narrow down my loot to just $50 worth. One of the fantastic little thingymabobbies I bought in Typo was an "eat me" cookie stamp - a purchase which fits in perfectly with my resolution to eat less packaged, preservative-riddled crap this year and do more home cooking of meals and snacks from scratch - a resolution which is no mean feat for a biscuit lover like me who just can't pass up a couple of bikkies with my daily cup of tea. 

Anyway, Thursday afternoon saw me eager to try out this nifty little purchase and thus I was on the hunt for the perfect, easy cookie recipe to try my stamp on. Originally, I planned on making sugar cookies, but the ridiculous amounts of sugar and butter that every recipe I came across called for turned me off - I didn't want to have to run to the shops to buy more sugar and butter, and besides, I was after an easy staple recipe that I could whip up any time to satisfy my biscuit cravings. Then I found this little beauty - a chocolate biscuit recipe with only a handful of ingredients in much more reasonable quantities than the sugar cookies! Satisfied with their deliciousness after testing them out with a couple of cups of tea, I decided that this little recipe, which I originally found on bestrecipes.com.au but altered to suit my tastes, was too good not to share!

Ingredients:

3/4 of a cup of butter
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (you could use 1 teaspoon vanilla essence if you don't have extract)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
  2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer on low. 
  3. Add egg and vanilla and beat thoroughly.
  4. Sift the cocoa and flour into the mixture and combine using your hands.
  5. Once combined, remove the mixture from the bowl and place it on a rolling mat for kneading. If the dough is too sticky for kneading, add extra flour and knead until it reaches a smooth, doughy consistency that can be easily rolled with a rolling pin.
  6. Roll out your dough to about 5mm thick. Use a drinking glass cookie cutter to cut out whatever shape you like. I was exciting and made circles.
  7. Place the cookies on a tray lined with baking paper about 1cm apart and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on your oven. If you have an awesome cookie stamp like me, press that into each cookie just before baking. 
  8. After your cookies have cooled, make yourself a cup of tea, sit back, dunk and enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment