Wednesday 6 February 2013

Poor Little Fur Baby

I don't know if I have mentioned him before on the blog, but I have a gorgeous little Jack Russell cross mini foxy called Coke. We got him about 5 years ago when he was a tiny little pup in a pet shop and he has become the most amazing part of the family since. My family lives in a big house on three blocks of land, and Coke has always had the run of the mill here. We have no fence, but he is well trained and knows not to go on the road or over to next door's property and he always obeys that rule. He is incredibly smart, and incredibly active and we love him to bits.

A couple of weeks ago, just before I moved out of home, Coke came upstairs from his morning pee limping. We checked his foot and couldn't see any thorns or anything. There were no scratches or bumps and his leg looked perfectly fine, but he was wincing when we touched above his knee. For the next few days, he refused to put his leg down and we wondered what could be wrong. After no sign of improvement four days later, I took him to the vet. She told us he had torn his tendon, but it was only a partial tear and should heal in a week with some medication if we kept him quiet. Relieved, I left home thinking all would be okay and next time I saw my baby he would be back to his normal, playful self.

I came home on Friday, however, to a completely different scene. He looked worse and mum told me he was having surgery on Monday. My poor fur baby now has 15 stitches running from his knee up to his thigh and he is in so much pain, he can't walk. His recovery will take about three months, but the vet is certain that the surgery went well and he will make a full recovery. It still breaks my heart to see him so helpless and sore though :(

I was only supposed to be home until Tuesday morning, because I came down for a chiropractor appointment after my crash a few weeks ago, but my back still isn't right and the chiropractor asked me to stay until the end of the week so he can give me another treatment tomorrow. This tells me that something definitely isn't right with my back because I have never had treatments so close together before, not even when I was first diagnosed with scoliosis, and I had just gotten to the point of yearly appointments with the chiro, and was pretty much pain free for the first time since I was about 13. My back and neck are killing me today and I'm so glad I decided to stay for my second treatment, if not for my own sake, but to look after my precious Cokey too.



5 comments:

  1. I hope that you both make speedy recoveries! My goodness! Take care of yourself...I know a lot about scoliosis as my sister has it as well.. All the best...Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm sure we will :) we are enjoying lazy days cuddling up together in front of the TV.

      Delete
  2. Geez those are some gnarly stitches! Hope you both recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I was shocked when dad brought him home and I saw. I didn't think they'd open his leg right up like that. So far he is being very good and not picking them. I hope it lasts, because he will heal better if he leaves them alone :)

      Delete
  3. hope Cokey gets better soon Sunae,can i just let you know by replying to your followers how you are they dont get that message unless they come back to the comments,you need to reply to them from the email that you get from them,hope that makes sense.xx

    ReplyDelete