Wednesday 6 February 2013

"I hate books," he said,

"I hate books," he said, as he wrapped me in his arms. "They always steal you away from me."

I kissed his mouth and smiled. "It's only for a few hours. I've missed you. Come and snuggle."

As this conversation played out the other night, I couldn't help but feel bad. I hadn't seen Jake in a week, and here I was with my nose in a book. I felt selfish.

But then I remembered the following quote which I had read one day on the internet, and my guilt was diminished. Jake has always known, and loved, my nerdy side. He knows that books are a massive part of my life, just as motocross is a massive part of his. With how much of a hold the literary world has on my life, how could it not make up a huge part of what he loves about me?

I think this quote (by Robert Pattinson of all people) sums up and explains mine and Jake's situation pretty well:

"If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She'll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are. Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. - Robert Pattinson, redeemed


I screenshotted this when it popped up on my pinterest again tonight and sent it to Jake with a message reminding him of something. "You may lose me for a few hours while I'm reading a book, but I will always be yours and I will always be much the better for reading. One day, you will come to treasure the way I can get lost in a book. My eyes will light up as I animatedly discuss the character, just as though he is a real person, and you will look at me and smile, because I'm passionate, I'm inspired and I'm yours." 

No comments:

Post a Comment