Friday 1 February 2013

Friday's Finds: Burleigh Haul





Yesterday I took the bus up to my Uni for a meeting with the student success adviser. It was my first time catching the bus all that way and the first time I'd had to make a transfer (in a suburb I didn't know, to top it off). I was extremely nervous about making that cross over and getting to the meeting on time. As my first engagement with the University, I thought it was incredibly important that I be there on time. Fortunately, my plan to get there 15 minutes early was the best forward-thinking I have ever done, because it saved my butt when my first bus was running late and made me miss my second bus and have to wait around for a further 10 minutes for another. 

The meeting was incredibly helpful, and I feel much more confident about starting this new chapter of study now I have met with the success adviser and learned more about what my first year in the School of Humanities is going to be like, what resources are available to me and where I can go if I ever need help with anything. 

I was much more relaxed on the trip back, having made my deadline and learned a lot of helpful stuff, and so I decided to take the bus I was on all the way to Burleigh Heads before changing, rather than changing at the designated stop. Boy am I glad of this little brainwave, because opposite the bus stop is a great Salvos store, and look what I found!




My first ever pieces of vintage Pyrex! Ooh, it is a happy day for this little blogger where I could tick "Pyrex" of my "to find" list at $2 a piece!


These books are what the TV series Bones is loosely based around. The writer is a forensic anthropologist and all the science is real, as in the show (which she produces). The books are basically a reflection of Kathy's life, and I can't wait to read them! If you're a Bones nut like me, you will be interested to note that the author's name "Kathy Reichs" is the name of the character in Brennan's book on the show! How is that for a cool Bones nerd fact?







I just love the chipper patterns on my pyrex! They're very "me".



I almost didn't buy this dress, because it was $6 and not something I would usually wear, but I kinda love the tie up front and am starting to crush on the khaki trend wayyy much lately, so bought it anyway. I think it would look great with a cute, lacy cami peeking through the ties, and will layer great for autumn and winter here in Australia. 

Have you had any simply amazing thrift store finds recently? I'm so glad I stopped at Burleigh on my way home. The fact that I now own vintage Pyrex has me absolutely bouncing with joy!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks :) I was so excited when I saw it :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome finds! You can't go wrong with vintage pyrex! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh I love that blue and white pyrex! Great find there.
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those pyrex bowls! Especially at that price! Found your blog via the totally awesome blog hop and am following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pyrex are beautiful! And you definitely can't beat $2 a piece. And I love that dress! Visiting from the blog hop, can't wait to check out more of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, new follower from the totally awesome blog hop. Love the pyrex dishes, so cute! Looking forward to checking out your blog some more. :)

    xo,
    Kristin
    aboutagirl.ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. vintage pyrex is the best! i am always on the lookout for it when I thrift :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Kathy Reichs, I studied archaeology at university and got really excited when I had to read one of her articles about forensic anthropology, such a smart lady! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, serious? I'm starting a BA this year and I'm majoring in history. I was thinking of going into archaeology after that. Have you read her books? I'm half way through the second one I bought an I want to read the lot now. The science is all accurate and the storylines are exciting :)

      Delete
  9. Hey there! I'm a uni student too :)

    Those are awesome pyrex you found!!

    New follower here!

    Stephanie (from the Totally Awesome Blog Hop)
    http://sharelovealways.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello from the blog hop! Collecting vintage pyrex always makes for a beautiful collection! My friend has a gorgeously colorful set and it always displays so wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello - I found you on the blog hop :) So nice to meet you - I love thrifting!
    Anna - thedustyatticblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete