Monday 4 February 2013

Bleach-Dyed T-Shirt Tutorial





A while ago I stumbled upon a tutorial for this on A Beautiful Mess. Naturally, I loved it and decided to give it a go. Here is my take on bleach dying, with a Harry Potter nerd twist. 

You Will Need:
A dark coloured shirt or singlet (mine is a men's singlet from Kmart)
Bleach
A thin, synthetic paintbrush
Chalk or fabric marker
Cardboard

How To:


Lay your shirt out on a flat workspace, preferably outside (for ventilation reasons) and insert the piece of cardboard between the layers of the shirt to prevent the bleach from going through. Thick cardboard works best.



Draw, using a fabric marker or chalk, your desired design. I chose the Deathly hallows symbol from Harry Potter, but you could draw or write anything you like. I recommend that you keep it simple though, and try to keep things centred and even. 



Now, dip your paintbrush into the bleach, and begin tracing over your design. You will need to refill your brush every few centimetres, and will need to be nice and heavy with the bleach so that it sinks in nice and even. Go slow, there is no rush, and you should start to see your design appear before your eyes!




Leave your shirt in the sun for about 10-15 minutes if you used regular bleach, or one hour if you used fabric safe bleach for it to process and lighten. Rinse your shirt out and hang it up to dry. Your design will lighten a little once it has dried.  The shade your design turns out will depend on the dye in your shirt and various other conditions. It could end up brown, or could end up stark white. Mine turned out tan and I love it. 



*Hermione Granger hair in photoshoot is optional

10 comments:

  1. I'm so going to try this soon! The possibilities are endless :) And you have great legs. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you :)
      The possibilities really are endless and I'm looking forward to doing a few more :) you'll have to send me a pic of how yours turns out :) x

      Delete
  2. ha, i tried to bleach-dye a shirt a long time ago. didn't work out too well, but you did a nice job! also, thanks for stopping by my blog hop :) hope you had fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES HARRY POTTER SHIRT! super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's an obsession! I'm thinking of doing more Harry Potter DIY's soon - gotta share the love :)

      Delete
  4. Very cool. I tried this years ago and it was an utter disaster, perhaps I was having a bad day I should try again. Very cool and simple effect.

    By the way Hun, your gorgeous. I thought I had long legs holy moley.......woot woot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, give it another go :) I was pretty skeptical of it working, but it did!
      Aww thank you, Trudie. What a great confidence booster for the day :)

      Delete
  5. Looks awesome!!! I'm thinking I can give this one a go!!! Thanks for sharing lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done Sunae it looks awesome and love your new place.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shez :) once I get my new Place looking a little nicer I will share some more pics :)

      Delete